To apply remote sensing to define the present geometrical and dynamical reference state of glaciers and to observe ongoing and past changes in ice surface elevation and flow in order to deduce changes in glacier motion, ice volume and mass balance in response to current climate change
- Björnsson, H., H. Rott, S. Gudmundsson, A. Fischer, A. Siegel and M. T. Gudmundsson. 2001. Glacier-volcano interactions deduced by SAR interferometry. J. Glaciol., 47(156), 58-70.
- Gudmundsson, S., M. T. Gudmundsson, H. Björnsson, F.Sigmundsson, H. Rott and J. Michael Carstensen. 2002. Three-dimensional glacier surface motion maps at the Gjálp eruption site, Iceland, inferred from combining InSAR and other ice-displacement data. Ann. Glaciol., 34, 315–322.
- Fischer, A., H. Rott and H. Björnsson. 2003. Observation of recent surges of Vatnajökull, Iceland, by means of ERS SAR interferometry. Ann. Glaciol., 37(1), 69-76.
- Jónsson, S., N. Adam and H. Björnsson. 1998. Effects of subglacial geothermal activity observed by satellite radar interferometry. Geophys. Res. Lett., 25(7), 1059-1062, doi: 10.1029/98GL50567.
- Magnússon, E., H. Rott, H. Björnsson and F. Pálsson, 2007. The impact of jökulhlaups on basal sliding observed by SAR interferometry on Vatnajökull, Iceland. Journal of Glaciology, 53(181), 232-240.
- Magnússon, E., H. Björnsson, H. Rott and F. Pálsson, 2010. Reduced glacier sliding caused by persistent drainage from a subglacial lake. The Cryosphere, 4, 13–20.
- Magnússon E., H. Björnsson, H. Rott, M. J. Roberts, F. Pálsson, S. Guðmundsson, R. A. Bennett, H. Geirsson and Erik Sturkell, 2011. Localized uplift of Vatnajökull ice cap, Iceland: subglacial water accumulation deduced from InSAR and GPS observations. Journal of Glaciology, 57(203), 475-484.